Wednesday 18 January 2017

Of Mice and Miso: Day 1



Studies say that the average male thinks about sex once every 7 seconds.
The average Maltese millennial thinks about leaving the country at roughly the same rate. 

Thanks to my comedic versatility and the fact that I'm less demanded in theatre than the officially licensed "Macbeth" changing room mirrors, I decided to actually head off to Japan and commence my pursuit of comedy. 

Day 1: 
The amuse-bouche of first impressions: People in uniform are friendly and they bow with three levels of enthusiasm:

1.) Soft :          Lightly lowering their head, only moving their neck. 
2.) Moderate:  The traditional bow. Hands to side, lowered back.
3.) Hardcore:   Presenting you with their inability to experience whiplash.

After 24 hours of travel, I finally made it to my room. For a reasonable price, you can get a room at a franchise hotel which tends to come with a particularly nice view of the Tokyo Skyline.

Tokyo is the place to be for all things weird and wonderful. This view was wonderful.





TV made sure to compensate for the weird. You would think that Japanese broadcasting is more than just game shows. Though it really is mostly game shows which tend to vary in structural tangibility. From standard quiz shows, to a team of midgets in drag, driving tow trucks. Their wasn't even a point system.



Later on in the night, I decided to decline the 35EUR pizza being offered by room service and went for a cheaper option with one of the many delivery places found all over Tokyo.

If you speak no Japanese, they're less inclined to take your order by phone, but online services got your back.

My order taught me something very important about food in Japan: Stick to what they know.
Unless you're ordering pizza from a franchise restaurant, you might be a little disappointed.

It generally tastes like a father's reaction after his son tells him he wants to juggle bowling pins professionally.
The chicken fingers had gloopy crevices that came fresh from a dermatologist's nightmare.
The diet-soda was fine.
Though I shall stay scouting for good-quality, well-priced local pizza.

Now that it's midnight, it's time to give myself some rest. As you know. It takes generally one rough night to overcome Jet-Lag.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck buddy! But I would seriously go for sushi not pizza over there my friend!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete