Saturday 21 January 2017

Of Mice and Miso: Jetlag

So it turns out you need more than a night.

The time is 2:00AM. 
Despite the exhaustion, you can only sleep for a few hours at a time.
Your brain thinks of it as an afternoon nap.

 All I can hear on the terrace: 

An opera of bohemian cats. 
Vending machines getting re-stocked.
Old man Hoshiro failing to apply brakes to his bike, slamming himself against the outer gate, which I found hilarious.

There are many things you can do to burn off that extra energy late at night:

You can go to 7/11 and annoy the clerks by asking them for fortune cookies.
You can loiter in the corner and freak people out with your shady foreign face.
You can visit the park and commence a battle royale between the pigeons and cats with just a handful of panko.

When all else failed, I figured music would help. Right before I play my tracks, I see an option on my phone saying “Cast media”. I think “Sweet, this TV is clearly a Smart TV” I selected “Cast media” yet I heard nothing.

This was 5 seconds before I hear Nickelback blasting through Old Man Hoshiro’s apartment. I always thought he was the only resident of that apartment. Then I heard the baby. Then the parents. For my own safety, I am not permitted to play Nickelback for the rest of my trip. 

 Back to bed.

1 comment: